The Dow Jones News Fund sponsored two alumnae to attend the Online News Association conference in Denver to produce a digital media package about internships.
Check out the videos and podcasts Katrina Arroyos (’15) and Ashleigh Wilson (’16) produced from interviews with students, educators and employers at #ONA16. Mike Wong, director of the DJNF digital media residency program at Arizona State University, advised the project.
- Why should journalism students intern at a media companies? (Soundcloud)
- What are media professionals looking for in potential interns? How can students gain the best experience? (Soundcloud)
- How can journalism students get the most out of their internship experiences? (Video 1, Video 2, Video 3)
What are the rookie mistakes that interns make? (Video)
- What skills should students learn before graduation? (Video 1, Video 2)
- What journalism students wish their colleges taught them before heading into the journalism job market. (Video)
Thank you to our alumni, educators and media partners who are helping mentor the next generation of newsroom leaders and those who participated in this project at #ONA16: Robin Blom, Dana Branham, Vance Brinkley, Bakari Clemmons, Michael Grant, Jason J. Hernandez, Jacquelyn Hoflich, Karen Kurtz, Christine Mahoney, Arriana McLymore, Andrea Meucci, Misty Montano, Toyia Montgomery, Liam Niemeyer, Clare Ramirez, Brandon Rittiman, Hayley Sanchez, Elita Truong and Jenny Ung.
Visit the Dow Jones News Fund program page to learn more about our internship programs.