PRINCETON, N.J. – The Dow Jones News Fund invites local students studying journalism or working for student media at community colleges and four-year universities in New Orleans, Miami, San Antonio, Atlanta and Houston to apply for free conference registration to attend journalism conventions coming to their home cities this summer and fall.
Linda Shockley, managing director of the News Fund, said, “We want more students to benefit from the nation’s best journalists meeting in their cities. These conferences are vital for students as they prepare for careers.”
Full-time college sophomores, juniors, and seniors who want to pursue journalism careers and who live within commuting distance of each city are eligible to apply. Students must be available to attend the entire conference and will be responsible for their own transportation.
The News Fund will provide free registration to attend these conferences:
- Houston, Texas | Investigative Reporters and Editors Conference, June 13-16
- Atlanta, Georgia | Asian American Journalists Association National Convention, July 31-August 3
- Miami, Florida | National Association of Black Journalists Convention and Career Fair, August 7-11
- San Antonio, Texas | Excellence in Journalism Conference, September 5-7
- New Orleans, Louisiana | Online News Association 2019, Sept. 12-14
- Lake Prior, Minnesota | National Native Media Conference, Sept. 15-18
After each conference, attendees will blog about their experiences on the News Fund website
Dominique Smith, now a senior at the University of Central Florida, attended the 2018 Investigative Reporters and Editors Conference in Orlando, Florida, as part of DJNF’s Emerging Journalists program. Read about his experience here.